During the 2020-2021 school year, meetings may be in-person or online depending the COVID situation:
- Parents must phone the school the Friday before the meeting to reserve a spot at the meeting. At that time, parents will be informed of the format of the meeting (in-person or online).
- Only items on the agenda prior to the meeting will be discussed.
*All in-person meetings will follow COVID safety & health guidelines:
- Attendees must fill out the daily screening symptoms tool prior to entering the school for in-person meetings.
- Attendees must wear a mask for in-person meetings
The mission of the School Council is to work with the school community to enrich our students quality of education in a caring environment that promotes life-long learning.
The IREC School Council meets the first Tuesday of every month at 7:00 pm in the Alice Grigg Library at the school. Please check it out on our Calendar.
The Role of the School Council:
Consult with the principal to ensure students have opportunities to meet Ministry standards, fiscal management is sound and the community’s expectations are taken into consideration during school-based planning.
- Advise the principal and the school board.
- Consult with other school councils and provincial organizations.
- Communicate information to the school community.
- Focus on the best interests of all students.
What School Councils are Not:
It is important to be mindful, that as with all partners in education, there are limits to the work that can be done by a school council.
Roles that are not to be taken on by a school council include:
- School governance
- Employment issues
- School management
- Listening to complaints
- It is not the primary role of school councils to fundraise or lobby.
The membership of the School Council shall consist of the following:
- Parents of students enrolled in Iron Ridge Elementary Campus
- Principal of the school
- Teachers of the school
- Community Liaison
For more information contact Maureen Schlemko - Principal at 403.885.4646.